Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Air Mail or Par Avion?

Although most letters are automatically sent via air mail it is always a good idea to write 'Air Mail' on the envelope. The international term used is usually 'Par Avion'. However since the mail would be originating in the United States I decided to use 'Air Mail' which is the term used by the US Postal Service.

Nevertheless I still wanted to make it clear to non-english speakers that the letters should be sent via air mail. So I chose a design that incorporated an airplane into the stamp and is displayed alongside the text so that even those who do not know how to read english would get the idea. I also liked this design over the others because of the hollowed text. For some reason I thought it made the stamp more 'official' looking.

Each letter was 'Air Mail' stamped twice.

This stamp is commercially available online and I paid about $7 for it.

3 Comments:

Blogger hashfanatic said...

Please don't tell me you sent one to Kim Jong-Il of North Korea!

10:43 PM  
Blogger Joel said...

Oh yes I did!

12:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Strictly speaking you should write both "air mail" and "par avion" on the mail. Without "par avion" the country of destination is not required to transport a letter by air mail inside its borders.

2:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page