Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Moldova




















President Vladimir Voronin of Moldova became the 51st world leader to honor my request. The correspondence arrived twisted and creased and has the look of an envelope that traveled a great distance.

Unfortunately the letter is in a language I do not know and one I cannot identify. If anyone can translate the letter or at least let us know which language it's written in, it would be greatly appreciated.

What I find to be astounding is that the letters continue to roll in over eight months after I mailed out my requests. What could be the reason? Postal delay? Bureaucracy? Mere inefficiency?




















2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's Romanian.

2:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The letter is in Romanian, which is the official language of Moldova. It's not so distantly related to Italian and other Romance languages.

From the point of view of someone who's learning Spanish and has done some Latin, I could wager a guess as to the meaning:

"Esteemed Joel Schmidt, We are sending you the autographed photo of Mr. Vladimir Voronin, the President of the Republic of Moldova, which you have requested. We wish you much health, luck, and success. Respectfully, Natalia Ipati, Chief of the Protocol Service."

Hardly surprising, I guess.

12:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page