Saturday, January 28, 2006

Italy















Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi of Italy became the 35th world leader to honor my request.

In diplomatic channels, news sources, and encyclopedia entries Mr Berlusconi is always referred to as Prime Minister. Today's letter and seal, however, seem to refer to him as President. Understandably I'm a bit confused. Is he President or Prime Minister?

Also, the correspondence is entirely in Italian which means that, other for the President bit, I have no inkling what the letter says. The same goes for the message on the photograph. If you understand Italian and are able to translate for us it would be greatly appreciated.

Oh, I have included here a closeup of the presidential stamp as found on the back of the envelope. I though it was interesting...


































4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Translation of letter:

Dear Mr. Schmidt;

The President Berlusconi has received the kind letter and he has the person in charge to transmit a photo to you autographed like demanded from him.

I pick the occasion in order to greet you with life and cordialation.

1:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

He's the President of the Council of Ministers, i.e. he's the Prime Minister.

--Bogdan

4:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

He is the president of the council of ministers. There is also a president of the state.

4:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Translation of the Letter:

Dear Mr. Schmidt,
President Berlusconi has received your kind letter and charged me of sending you an autographed picture of him as you demanded.
Greetings,*
Velentino Valentini

Translation of the photo:

My most honest wishes
Silvio Berlusconi

* Italian is a very formal language.
Literal translation would be:
Greetings=I take this chance to greet you with "alive" sympathy.

I'm italian and I hope I've been clear. I'm also a little bit ashamed that nobody thought of writing you back in English.

1:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page