Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Israel




















Prime Minister Ariel Sharon of Israel became the 28th world leader to honor my request and the first leader to respond from the Middle East.

Mr Sharon recently had a serious stroke and has been in a coma for the past two weeks or so. My letter should have arrived over a month ago so it's very possible he was aware of my correspondence before he fell ill. Not that it makes much of a difference. Either way, I wish him a full and rapid recovery and hopefully the next news report will report on an improving health condition.

Interestingly, the postmark bears the Hebrew term for Israel's capital; Yerushalayim. Its actually the way it's pronounced in Hebrew transliterated into English. I would have expected them to use the term Jerusalem. I wonder what the Arabic version says...





















4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting and tragic at the same time.

On a separate point, I've noticed that the South Korean and Finnish heads of state were not wearing ties. Wonder about the casual attire. Those couldn't be the pictures they use in government building? Could they?

12:42 AM  
Blogger Joel said...

The leaders from New Zealand and the Philippines weren't wearing ties either...

1:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The capital of Israel is Tel Aviv

9:29 AM  
Blogger Alexis said...

The Arabic name for Jerusalem is Al-Quds, but I couldn't tell you if that's what the postmark says--it's not clear enough for me to be able to compare it.

3:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page