Wednesday, January 11, 2006

France




















President Jacques Chirac of France became the 22nd world leader to honor my request.

The photo and correspondence were enclosed in a large, cardboard reinforced, envelope. Interestingly, it was stamped "lettre." I thought that was odd because sually an envelope containing photographs is identified as such so that it receives better care than an ordinary "lettre."

Also, the enclosed letter is in French. Being as I don't know more than three words of the language I can't say I know what it says. Can someone, merci, translate for us?




















4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My French is a little rusty, but I'll do my best; this is a very literal translation, and I may have missed a few words, especially at the end:

"Dear Sir,

The president of the French Republic indeed received your message and charged me with thanking you.

I must inform you that it is not possible for the Chief of State to respond favorably to the large number of autograph requests which are sent to him each day.

It is nevertheless possible to send you Mr. Jacques Chirac's official portrait.

I pray, dear sir, that you accept this distinguished consideration."

12:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, that's incredibly polite for a Frenchman.

1:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The French are an incredibly polite and courteous people. Courtly manners from the days of Louis XIV were adopted throughout the Royal Courts of Europe.
A Frenchman may certainly compliment you on your appearance and intelligence, even whilst robbing you blind!
Generally it is Parisian waiters who are atrociously rude.

6:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As French myself: just a quick correction for the second paragraph: it's not possible the the President to reply in person to the large...

I am however glad to send you...


And yes, parisian waiters are really rude but it's like models: somehow it belongs to the job to look so arrogant, though reasons for doing so are unclear...

8:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page