Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Slovenia




















President Janez Drnovesk of Slovenia became the 14th world leader to honor my request.

Notice the envelope and correspondence bear the term 'Urad'. If only I understood Slovene I would probably now what that means... Shucks, that wasn't one of the language options in school...

Hey, I've got a tongue twister for you. Can you pronounce Ljubljana? Can you do it three times fast? You mean you can't? In that case I'll bet you've never been to the capital of Slovenia...





















5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

whoever wrote the letter from Slovenia has the best English of any of these!

1:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's pronounced "Lyub-lyAH-na", but you don't really pronounce the "Y"; you palatalize the "L". It's one sound, kinda like "LL" in Spanish.

I have indeed been there. It's a beautiful city.

6:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

'urad' means 'office', by the way... (search Google for Slovenia statistical office, for example). It's not hard to find out what words in other languages mean, even if you didn't study them at school.

7:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello!

I am from Slovenia and firstly, let me congratulate on a job well done. Secondly, I want to inform you that the surname is DRNOVSEK.

Keep up the good work!

2:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Actually the last name is Drnovšek. 'š' (s with caron accent) is english 'sh'.

3:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page