Monday, January 30, 2006

El Salvador




















President Elias Antonio Saca of El Salvador became the 36th world leader to honor my request. The photo is hand-signed and contains two inscriptions.

My Spanish is still elementary and so I am having difficulty figuring out what the letter or inscriptions say. As always, translations are graciously accepted.

You'll notice that the format of the envelope is unusual. The address, stamps, seals, and postmarks are in uncommon places. I wonder if all El Salvadoran mail looks this way or maybe it is a unique format limited to presidential mail...

I also noticed that the stamps each carry two value amounts. And one of them is pretty scary looking...

What I found even more interesting was the number 0007493 that is stamped on both the envelope and letter. Is it for recordkeeping? Or perhaps to deter fraud?




















3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My computer's a bit dodgy, so I can't the Spanish that well, but that main jist is that "in accordance with your request I attach a photo signed by el presidente, etc...

2:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A very literal translation*:

"I have the pleasure to address myself to you, in an opportunity to greet you, and in accordance with that which was requested, I attach a photograph authentically signed by the President of the Republic.
With nothing further to add, please receive indications of my most elevated and distinguished regards.
God Union Liberty

Elmer Charlaix, esq.
Private Secretary

*The original is, of course, much more eloquent.

3:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In 2004, El Salvador made the US dollar it's official currency, making the Colon obsolete. However, many things, such as these stamps, still have prices written in both US Dollars and Colons.

10:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page