Tuesday, December 20, 2005


Canada's Paul Martin becomes the third world leader to honor my request.

It's interesting that they use the term 'right honourable.' I believe it to be an expression of royalty but I've seen the term thrown around in the UK's House of Commons and as far as I know they are not royalty...

Anyway, it's with pleasure that we welcome our northern neighbor into our club.


Blogger Alexis said...

(yes, reading back posts...)

Rt.Hon. is the term for a member of the Government in the UK. An ordinary MP is simply "Honorable".

We do love our titles here. :)

11:57 PM  
Anonymous Richard said...

also reading backposts

in the House of Commons, it's any member of the Privy Council, which used to advise the sovereign but in practice is now ceromonial. However, as an historical throughback, the cabinet is technically a commitee of the Privy Council, so members of the cabinet get to call themselves 'Rt.Hon'. It is these who will be in the House of Commons.

7:08 AM  
Anonymous Matt said...

Actually, Canadians are a little stingier with our titles. "Right Honourable" is reserved for the Prime Minister, Governor General (the Queen's representative in Canada), and the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court, plus a few others who have been specifically granted the title. Ministers are only "Honourable" and regular MPs get nothing.

Oh, and Canada may elect a new PM on Monday (though he wouldn't take office for a couple of months). You can get election results at http://www.cbc.ca/canadavotes/ .

2:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You should be thankful that the letter was only in one language and that it was English. Everything that the government sends out has to be in both languages. Actually we are starting to see things with Spanish on them as well as English and French. As Matt said you might want to send a letter to the new PM after monday

11:24 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page